Critical Reflection:

Module Learning:
The goals I had set at the start of this module were to overcome my fear of maintaining eye contact and to become a more eloquent speaker. Fast forward 13 weeks, I’m confident that I have attained 90% of my objectives.

Prior to taking this module, I dreaded writing essays/ academic reports. I often felt overwhelmed by the abundance of research information and would attempt to greedily cram it all into the essay. This resulted in lengthy essays that often bore my audiences to death.

Additionally, the struggles of drafting the initial part of a report and time-consuming research only intensified my apprehension towards writing assignments. Fortunately, the materials and resources provided in this module have been instrumental in combating my writing fears.

For instance, I have learnt to leverage generative AI bot, ChatGPT and Google Scholar to provide a comprehensive overview of my topic. Which significantly cuts down primary research time. Applying the Paul Elder Framework and PEEL format, has enabled me to structure my reports with clarity and tailor it to address a specific audience.

The main takeaways from this module include learning to summarize, cite sources appropriately, and effectively connecting my research with my personal insights. Developing this critical skill is not only advantageous for my current academic report assignments but also essential for my future role as an engineer, where I will be crafting technical reports.

Project Learning:
“Picture speaks a thousand words”.
Since primary school, my presentation slides were always filled with bullet points. So, I was really shocked to learn through this module, that it wasn’t recommended. Recalling how Prof Brad had mentioned that bullet points kills, my team and I created clean and image-driven presentation slides. As opposed to overwhelming our audiences with bullet points.

Garr Reynold’s presentation tips were instrumental in helping me to attain my aforementioned goals. To avoid the sea of faces staring at me, I used to fixate my gaze entirely on a familiar face during presentations. However, I realized it can get unsettling for the person and sometimes, I would get momentarily lost in their dark orbs. Feedback from my peers, also indicated that my lack of eye contact made the audience feel excluded. Hence, applying Reynold’s tip, I learned to alternate eye contact with a selected few across the room.

Last but not least, I truly treasured the constructive feedback given by Prof Brad and my classmates. Positive feedback bolstered my confidence, affirming that I was applying the right techniques. Conversely, criticism prompted me to evaluate and make necessary changes. For instance, our team incorporated Garr Reynold’s advice on providing real-life scenarios to engage the audience. When our peers commented in the review that the scenarios helped them relate better, it affirmed that we were heading in the right direction.

In a nutshell, through this module and Prof Brad’s teaching, I’ve developed the invaluable skill of effective communication in both oral and written expressions. Afterall, being able to communicate one’s ideas to others is half the battle won.

PS: Dear Prof Brad, sincerely appreciate your patient guidance over the past 13 weeks. Thank you for always greeting us with a smile and being an approachable professor we could approach for advices. 😊

Comments

  1. Thanks much, Joey, for your positive attitude and for sharing your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts